The Board of Inquiry was established by the Governor in Council on the 29 March 1983 to inquire and report on whether poker machines should be permitted in Victoria.
Terms of Reference
The Terms of Reference for the Inquiry were:
1. the likely social effects of any such poker machines including the steps, if any, which should be taken to prevent or mitigate any likely adverse social effects
2. the likely economic effect of any such poker machines including any such effect on the public finances of the State of Victoria
3. the legal and administrative measures, if any, which should be adopted to control and supervise the operations of any poker machines which may be permitted in Victoria
4. the measures, if any, which should be taken to prevent undesirable persons from having a financial or other connection with or being in a position to influence any aspect of the supply, installation, maintenance and operations of any poker machines which may be permitted in Victoria
5. whether the operations of any such poker machines should be limited to licensed clubs, hotels or any other particular type of establishment.