Caulfield Institute of Technology commenced with the official opening of the Caulfield Technical School in 1922 after approval for building had been given by the Education Department in 1919. The Senior School commenced in 1941 in mechanical and electrical engineering and art subjects with the commencement of Diploma classes in 1944. The school became known as Caulfield Technical College in 1958.
With the establishment of the Victoria Institute of Colleges in 1967, the College was removed from Education Department control and renamed the Caulfield Institute of Technology in 1968, with Bachelor degree courses commencing in 1977.
Amalgamation between the Caulfield Institute of Technology and the Frankston State College occurred in 1981 with the name of Chisholm Institute of technology being given to the amalgamated colleges. Since 1996, the Chisholm Institute has been part of Monash University (VA 1047)