The Bureau contributes to national social, economic, cultural and environmental goals by providing observational, meteorological, hydrological and oceanographic services and by undertaking research into science and environment related issues in support of its operations and services.
The Bureau of Meteorology operates under the authority of the Meteorology Act 1955 and the Water Act 2007 which provide the legal basis for its activities, while its operation is continually assessed in accordance with the national need for climatic records, water information, scientific understanding of Australian weather and climate and effective service provision to the Australian community. The Bureau of Meteorology must also fulfill Australia's international obligations under the Convention of the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) and related international meteorological treaties and agreements.
On 1 July 2002, the Bureau of Meteorology became an Executive Agency under the Public Service Act 1999, and on 12 September 2002 it became a prescribed agency under the Financial Management and Accountability Act 1997. Under the Public Service Act, the Director of Meteorology has the powers and responsibilities of an agency head, and under current administrative arrangements reports to the Minister for Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities.
Informed safety, security and economic decisions by governments, industry, and the community through the provision of information, forecasts, services and research relating to weather, climate and water.
- Earth Sciences (16)
- Environmental Intelligence (16)
- Groundwater (16)
- Landscape Modelling (16)
- Water Balance (16)
- Agricultural And Veterinary Sciences (14)
- Agricultural Hydrology (drainage, Flooding, Irrigation, Quality, Etc.) (14)
- Other Agricultural And Veterinary Sciences (14)
- Physical Geography And Environmental Geoscience (14)
- Surfacewater Hydrology (14)
- Hydrogeology (13)
- Australian Hydrological Geospatial Fabric (12)
- Australian Water Resources Assessment (12)
- Landscape Water Yield (12)
- Landscape Water Yield (4)
- Australian Water Resource Assessment (3)
- Australian Hydrological Geospatial Fabric (2)
- 04060 (1)
- 07990 (1)
- 07991 (1)
- Australian Hydrological Geospatial Fabric (1)
- Australian Water Resource Assessment (1)
- Urban Water (1)
- Climate Change (1)
- Geospatial Fabric (1)
GPO Box 1289
Melbourne VIC 3001
(700 Collins Street, Docklands)
Tel: (03) 9669 4000