The University of South Australia is a globally-focused, locally-engaged institution established on the dual principles of equity and excellence. Our commitment to excellence is reflected in the calibre of our academics and researchers.
The university is South Australia’s largest and was ranked in the top three per cent of more than 10,000 universities worldwide – in the QS World University Rankings.
The University of South Australia is a research leader with a reputation for excellence across a range of discipline areas. We are committed to high quality research that contributes practical solutions to real-world challenges.
We foster an intellectually rigorous research environment, and remain at the forefront of collaborative and industry-relevant research. The University of South Australia’s emphasis on research collaboration has resulted in our participation in a number of Cooperative Research Centres, which are Federal Government supported research initiatives to address major challenges facing Australia. We rank an impressive fifth in Australia for funding received to support CRCs.
The University of South Australia is home to six research institutes and 17 supported research centres, with the multidisciplinary capacity to address today’s most pressing research questions. Some of the world’s brightest minds research at the University in the areas of business, education, arts and social sciences, medical and health sciences, information technology, materials science, engineering and the environment.
We rank in the top one-third of Australian universities for research income and in the top 10 Australian universities for the percentage of academics who hold doctoral qualifications. The University maximises its international links to remain at the forefront of research, and recruits academic staff from across the world who are research leaders in their fields.
Our research is underpinned by a fundamental commitment to excellence and is recognised on the world stage. The first Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA) assessment – an official national evaluation of the quality of research – showed that over 86 per cent of our assessed research is at or above world-class standard. In several areas our research is performing well above world-class levels, a significant achievement given our short history as a university.
Disciplines in which our research performance is at or above world-class include:
- Chemical sciences, including physical chemistry
- Engineering, including electrical and electronic, mechanical, materials, and civil engineering, and resources engineering and extractive metallurgy.
- Mathematical sciences, including applied and pure mathematics.
- Environmental sciences.
- Information computing sciences, including artificial intelligence and image processing, distributed computing and information systems.
- Medical and health sciences, including nursing, human movement and sports science, nutrition and dietetics, clinical sciences, pharmacology and pharmaceutical sciences, medical physiology, and public health and health services.
- Built environment and design, including urban and regional planning.
- Applied economics, business and management, and marketing.
- Studies in human society, including social work, sociology, psychology and cognitive sciences.
- Studies in creative arts and writing, including journalism and professional writing, and visual arts and crafts.
- Language, communication and culture, including cultural studies and linguistics.
- Education systems, and curriculum and pedagogy.
An example of a major data collection from the University of South Australia that is openly available and continually expanded is the Water Quality Major Open Data Collection.
The availability of water quality data sets will enable future research and investigative projects concerning all aspects of water quality. It will provide valuable background data on trends and provide a reference point for a range of studies to be carried out by the community, government, industry and high level research projects performed in research institutions both nationally and internationally.
Comprehensive and supportive services are provided by the University of South Australia to assist researchers and research students to undertake their important research. Services include assistance with research administration, collaboration, information management, publication and reporting.
Australian Technology Network of Universities
The University of South Australia is a member of the Australian Technology Network (ATN) of Universities. The ATN brings together five of the most innovative and enterprising universities in Australia. ATN universities teach around 230,000 students, or almost 20% of Australia’s student population. With 1 in 4 international students choosing to study at an ATN university, they are the largest provider of international education, both with onshore and offshore students.
- Chemical Sciences (170)
- Physical Chemistry (incl. Structural) (168)
- Physical Chemistry Not Elsewhere Classified (168)
- Medical And Health Sciences (156)
- Drug Delivery (150)
- Encapsulation (148)
- Pharmacology And Pharmaceutical Sciences (145)
- Pharmacology And Pharmaceutical Sciences Not Elsewhere Classified (145)
- Pharmaceutics (145)
- Architecture (89)
- Architectural Heritage And Conservation (89)
- Architectural History And Theory (89)
- Built Environment And Design (89)
- History And Theory Of The Built Environment (excl. Architecture) (89)
- South Australia (89)
- Urban And Regional Planning (89)
- Architecture (87)
- History (87)
- Engineering (79)
- Health (49)
- Civil Engineering (46)
- Chemical Engineering (33)
- Clinical Health (organs, Diseases And Abnormal Conditions) (32)
- Environment (32)
- Water Treatment Processes (32)
- Water Quality Engineering (27)
- Commercial Services And Tourism (26)
- Advanced Materials (23)
- Biotechnology (23)
- Cancer And Related Disorders (23)
- Cancer Research (23)
- Materials Engineering (23)
- Materials Engineering Not Elsewhere Classified (23)
- Nanotechnology (23)
- Water And Waste Services (23)
- Water Quality -- Water Quality Monitoring -- Chemical Measurements (20)
- Water Resources Engineering (20)
- Environmental Sciences (15)
- Public Health (excl. Specific Population Health) (15)
- Water Services And Utilities (15)
- Environmental And Natural Resource Evaluation (13)
- Environmental Science And Management (12)
- Expanding Knowledge (12)
- Urban Water Evaluation (incl. Water Quality) (12)
- Water Quality (11)
- Water Quality -- Catchments (including Groundwater Systems) -- Water Quality Monitoring (11)
- Water Quality -- Treatments -- Mixed Treatments (11)
- Information And Communication Services (10)
- Disinfection By-products (9)
- Land And Water Management (9)