The CSU Regional Archives (CSURA) is located on Charles Sturt University’s Wagga Wagga South campus. Established in 1973, the CSURA is now the largest archival repository in regional Australia comprising of more than 3,000 individual accessions of archival material, and exceeding 4,500 linear metres of archives and records in total holdings.
The CSURA has been fully funded by Charles Sturt University and its precursor institutions dating back to 1973. A small amount of project funding has been made available from State Records NSW since 2002.
To date only a small percentage of the entire CSURA collection has been digitised. If the entire 4.5 linear kilometers of the collection were digitised, the collection would be between 40-50 terabytes. The digitisation will also consist of large amount of audio-visual material, predominantly 16mm news film footage (in excess of 1200 reels) which is in urgent need of migration to a more stable digital format. Once a full-time digitisation project can be established, the digital collection size would grow by 1-2 terabytes annually. The digitisation of the CSURA collection will only increase the amount of research possible, given that access to the archives and records will be easily facilitated.
A combined function collecting archive, CSURA is the designated regional repository for State Records NSW in the Riverina and Murray regions, housing NSW Local Government, Lands, Agriculture, Education, Water Resources, Court House, Mining & Police records. In addition, CSURA also houses Charles Sturt University and precursor institution corporate records dating back to 1892. Finally, CSURA collects private records and manuscripts deposited and donated by local and regional businesses, cultural and community organisations, agricultural and pastoral bodies, religious agencies, politicians, sporting groups, media agencies, and stations and properties from the Riverina & Murray regions.
Holdings include a large variety of formats and media, with the vast majority of material being paper-based. With material dating back to late 1700s, the bulk of the collections document the period from 1850-1950. The CSURA repository was established to ensure that the archival records of the Riverina & Murray regions of NSW remain in the region where they were created, and are therefore likely to receive greater use by the wider community.
The strength of the CSURA collection lies in the vast area of southern NSW for which it collects. The historical, social and cultural archival material collected from a geographical area stretching from the Snowy Mountains in the east, the Victorian border to the south, the South Australian border to the west, and the localities of Hillston and Cootamundra to the north, makes the CSURA an invaluable archival resource for future research in a wide variety of academic disciplines.
CSURA actively supports cross-disciplinary research collaboration between staff & students of the University, and the general wider community, both in the Riverina & Murray regions, and the regional footprint serviced by the University. Given the large size of the CSURA archival collection, there are really no limitations on the type of research which the collections could be used to support.