At Western Sydney University the Hawkesbury Institute for the Environment's diverse portfolio of research brings excellence to decision-making in natural and managed land-based ecosystems.
The Institute’s team of over 50 scientists conducts innovative, world-class research the full spectrum of life from genetic level to ecosystem level to answer the most pressing scientific issues such as:
- What will rising CO2 levels mean for forestry, soils and our agricultural industries?
- How closely do CO2 prediction models match real-world changes in plant and ecosystem function?
- What practical measures can we readily implement to capitalise on rapid CO2 increases?
The Institute’s integrated research portfolio is aligned around three broad themes:
- Soil Biology and Genomics
- Plants, Animals and Interactions
- Ecosystem Function and Integration
The Institute’s highly-integrated research themes lead to worldwide collaborations and partnerships with industry and research organisations to jointly tackle the largest environmental and scientific challenges of our time.