Dataset
Viewed: [[ro.stat.viewed]] Cited: [[ro.stat.cited]] Accessed: [[ro.stat.accessed]]
ctx_ver=Z39.88-2004&rft_val_fmt=info%3Aofi%2Ffmt%3Akev%3Amtx%3Adc&rfr_id=info%3Asid%2FANDS&rft_id=http://hdl.cqu.edu.au/10018/63891&rft.title=The Lake carbon budget&rft.identifier=http://hdl.cqu.edu.au/10018/63891&rft.publisher=Central Queensland University&rft.description=The carbon estimates outlined were taken from “The Lake” a cattle grazing property in the Desert Uplands region of Central Queensland. The property is located approximately 68 km north east of Aramac, and is located around a natural fresh water lake called Lake Dunn. The property has a total area of 18,455 hectares, of which about 2223 hectares (12%) has been cleared for grazing and established with improved pasture. The remainder 16,232 hectares (88%) is uncleared and classified as remnant vegetation by the Department of Natural Resources and Mines.“The Lake” is located within the Desert Uplands Bioregion, and includes vegetation categorised in 22 Regional Ecosystems. As the property included such a wide range of Regional Ecosystems (REs) it was decided to sample only five of the REs, (marked in bold in Table 1) and to apply the information from these sites to the other REs. At each RE one general area (site) was selected to be representative of the vegetation. Trees were measured in 200m² rectangular plots called transects. 30 transects were laid out at each site. Each transect was 50 metres long and 4 metres wide, and all were laid in a north-south direction. All trees were measured in the first three transects. Dead trees, if encountered were included in the measurements. In the remaining transects, trees were measured until thirty trees of each major tree type had been measured and then, only the number of trees was counted in each transect. All trees and bushes over 1.8 metres were measured. It was assumed that trees and bushes lower than this height would be susceptible to fire and may have perished in the landscape.The stem circumference of each tree selected was measured at a height of 30 cm above the ground. From this measurement, the tree biomass was calculated using previously developed equations, which relate stem circumference, or in some cases, stem diameter, to total above-ground biomass.&rft.creator=Rajesh K Jalota&rft.creator=J (Jill) Windle&rft.creator=John Rolfe&rft.date=2017&rft_rights=&rft_subject=140205 Environment and Resource Economics.&rft_subject=830301 Beef Cattle.&rft_subject=Greenhouse Effect, Atmospheric&rft_subject=Carbon Dioxide Sinks&rft_subject=Carbon Dioxide Environmental Aspects.&rft_subject=Trees Carbon Content&rft_subject=Ranches Environmental Aspects.&rft_subject=Shrubs Carbon Content&rft_subject=Trees -- Soils -- Carbon Content -- Greenhouse Effect -- Central Queensland&rft_subject=Research Dataset.&rft.type=dataset&rft.language=English Go to Data Providers

Licence & Rights:

Open Licence view details
CC-BY

Contact Information




Full description

The carbon estimates outlined were taken from “The Lake” a cattle grazing property in the Desert Uplands region of Central Queensland. The property is located approximately 68 km north east of Aramac, and is located around a natural fresh water lake called Lake Dunn. The property has a total area of 18,455 hectares, of which about 2223 hectares (12%) has been cleared for grazing and established with improved pasture. The remainder 16,232 hectares (88%) is uncleared and classified as remnant vegetation by the Department of Natural Resources and Mines.“The Lake” is located within the Desert Uplands Bioregion, and includes vegetation categorised in 22 Regional Ecosystems. As the property included such a wide range of Regional Ecosystems (REs) it was decided to sample only five of the REs, (marked in bold in Table 1) and to apply the information from these sites to the other REs. At each RE one general area (site) was selected to be representative of the vegetation. Trees were measured in 200m² rectangular plots called transects. 30 transects were laid out at each site. Each transect was 50 metres long and 4 metres wide, and all were laid in a north-south direction. All trees were measured in the first three transects. Dead trees, if encountered were included in the measurements. In the remaining transects, trees were measured until thirty trees of each major tree type had been measured and then, only the number of trees was counted in each transect. All trees and bushes over 1.8 metres were measured. It was assumed that trees and bushes lower than this height would be susceptible to fire and may have perished in the landscape.The stem circumference of each tree selected was measured at a height of 30 cm above the ground. From this measurement, the tree biomass was calculated using previously developed equations, which relate stem circumference, or in some cases, stem diameter, to total above-ground biomass.
Identifiers