The Medical History Museum was established by a grant from The Wellcome Trust and opened on the 13th April 1967. It holds over 4000 items which include objects, photographs, archives and ephemera. The Medical History Museum Collection is fundamentally a research collection, providing local and overseas postgraduate students with the primary resources for their work. The Museum also supports the teaching programs for students undertaking Advanced Medical Science under the new medical curriculum. The Museum houses the reconstructed 1849 Savory and Moore Pharmacy. Three ornate display cases from the Melbourne Internal Exhibition 1880 hold microscopes, microtomes and surgical instruments from the early 1800s to the 1950s.