Phillip Institute of Technology (VA 1052) was created on 6 January 1982, as an amalgamation of the State College of Victoria at Coburg (VA 5188) and the Preston Institute of Technology (VA 1212). Phillip Institute of Technology had two campuses - Bundoora and Coburg.
In 1987, Phillip was granted 'Declared Status'. This gave the Institute the right to accredit its own courses, without reference to an external accrediting authority. Phillip became a full, independent member of the Unified National System of Higher Education when it came into being in 1988.
Phillip Institute of Technology was amalgamated into RMIT University (VA 1046) in 1992; its last day of independnce was 30 June 1992. The Institute produced 14,156 graduates during its 10 year stint.
A detailed history of the Institute is recorded in the book: "A decade of achievement : Phillip Institute of Technology", Brian Carroll, 1995, RMIT Press.