SA School of Mines and Industries
The School of Mines and Industries opened in 1889 in the Exhibition Building on North Terrace until 1903, when it moved to the Brookman Building, now part of the University of South Australia. The first School of Architecture was begun in 1906 by Louis Laybourne Smith and Walter Hervey Bagot. The School of Architecture was first named after Louis Laybourne Smith an early prominent architect and the School's first full time lecturer.
After the Second World War the School experienced a rapid expansion with a flood of applicants for architectural training. Gavin Walkley, who succeeded Laybourne Smith as Head of School, proceeded to expand the School's programs to embrace all major skills relevant to the built environment. Town Planning (the first course of its kind in Australia), Building Technology, Interior Design and Landscape Architecture were offered.
In 1960 the School of Mines was renamed the South Australian Institute of Technology and the range of course offered in building and allied skills increased. By 1963 the School had developed its activities in the building discipline as distinct from architecture to such an extent that the new name of the School of Architecture and Building was adopted.
In 1991, the South Australian Institute of Technology and the South Australian College of Advanced Education merged to form the University of South Australia. At the beginning of 1997, the School moved into the newly completed City West campus. Today, the School has over 20 full-time academic staff and 650 undergraduate students in the three disciplines of Architecture, Interior Architecture and Industrial Design.